I recently tried to install the developer preview of windows 8 (32 bit) in virtualbox ose . Unfortunately I was unable to get it to work but some have said the 64 bit version with developer tools works.
If you would like to try it out you can do so here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
- To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater
I will do a follow up post if I get the 64bit version to work.